Dr. Todd Mitchell was awakened by a phone call at 8 a.m. on the Tuesday after Christmas.
A woman and her twin 11-year-old grandsons had eaten soup made from deadly mushrooms they picked in the woods. Dr. Kent Olson of California Poison Control was asking for the phone number of the German company that makes a drug used to treat death cap mushroom cases in Europe.
The call gave Mitchell chills.
He knew mortality from death caps is higher for children.
He felt a sense of urgency, and the situation was hauntingly familiar.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment