The bodies of five street children have been found inside a large bin in southwest China after they climbed inside it to escape the cold, according to state media.
The boys, who were aged about 10, died of carbon monoxide poisoning after apparently burning charcoal inside the container to keep warm.
A refuse collector discovered the bodies in the city of Bijie in Guizhou province. The overnight low temperature in the mountainous city was 6C.
Photos uploaded to the internet showed that the bin is about 1.5 metres long and 1.3 metres wide, with an airtight lid.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment